February 13, 2011

Oh Indian Food - I LOVE YOU!!!


Seriously, I think I love Indian food as much as I love Thai and Japanese and Chinese food. It's a vicious 4 way love affair when it comes to meal planning at my house.

My friend recently asked me if I had a recipe for Keema, which I did not. But I found one online and my good friend Rupa assured me it seemed pretty authentic. So I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it was.

Along with the Keema Matar, I decided I'd try yet another Aarti Party recipe (surprise, surprise, right??) for her Chapatis. The whole meal was absolutely fantastic and I will make it again.

The Keema Matar was flavorful, aromatic and filling. The chapatis were fun to make, quite easy, tasty and were a great pair with the keema.
Keema Matar
adapted from Simply Spicy
1 lb. ground meat - beef, turkey or chicken
2 cup - frozen green peas, lightly defrosted
1 Onion, chopped
1'' piece of ginger peeled and minced
2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cinnamon sticks
2 cardamom pods crushed
3 cloves
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp each Coriander, Turmeric, Cunim, Red chili powder
pinch of salt
Cilantro to sprinkle on top

Mix coriander, turmeric, red chili and cumin powder with little water, salt and set aside.

Heat oil in a pan and fry onions until golden brown. Add garlic, ginger, tomatoes, cardamom, cinnamom, cloves, bay leaf and fry for 3 - 4 minutes. Add the powder paste and continue frying for a minute.

Add ground meat, peas and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until meat turns brown. Add 1 and 1/4th cup boiling water to the meat. Cover and cook on low heat until meat is cooked and the gravy is thick. Now you can further cook without the lid, till all the water is used up. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.

Chapatis from Aarti Party on Foodnetwork. I made these as she did, but used white flour (I didn't have wheat). So refer to her recipe here for the technique and ingredients - but I promise you it couldn't be easier. Just be sure to leave 30 minutes of rise time for the dough.

No comments: