July 17, 2011

Did I Find It?!


The most perfect chocolate chip cookie that is.

I had a thought of what cookie I was going to try next, but then found a recipe in a magazine in a McCormic's ad. The cookies sounded wonderful, so I decided they would be my next adventure in baking. And well, I just may have to stop.

Well, I thought I'd stop until the other week everyone on blogs started posting the recipe from the NYT and Jacque Torres... damn' you people - more recipes I feel the need to try now.

But as of now, these are my first place cookie in the contest.

McCormic Vanilla Rich Chocolate Chip Cookies

3 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 ts. salt
1 1/3 cups butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
4 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg semi-sweet chocolate chip cookies
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Mix flour baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat in the flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Drop by T full on to cookie sheet - ungreased.

Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes about 5 dozen.

The Verdict?

Chocolate Chip Used: Ghiradelli Semi-Sweet
Ease of Recipe: comes together very easily and quickly and with no chill time.
Out of Oven Texture: Crispy edges soft chewy center, metly goodness - quite possibly perfect - I used the smaller cookie scoop so it's a greater ratio of crispy to softness/chewiness.
Out of Oven Taste: Very smooth, mild, not overly sweet - not so brown sugary sweet like other cookies, the ratio of vanilla to sugar to butter is actually supreme in this recipe, making a very mild, vanilla and sweet sugar flavor - these chips may be the very best I've used so far, it's not too bitter, not overly sweet, keeps its shape well and has a great melty center on the chips.
Milk Dunk Test: Absorbs a good amount of milk without getting mushy and goopy - still stays firm and has a nice hint of milk throughout the cookie once dunked.
1 Day Texture: still some crispyness on the edges and nice and soft inside - a very soft cookie - very soft.
1 Day Taste: Still buttery and mild, the chips have still a nice creamyness as well.
Appearance: made these mini - they are so adorable - and the perfect 2-3 bite size cookie. They look so light and golden buttery without being over done or too wonky.
Husband Rating: Out of the oven, without chips - that's really good - that's a good cookie.
General Notes: Great flavor - the amount of butter makes it have a nice spread in the oven. The cookie is buttery, vanilla-y and mild, not too overwhelming with a brown sugar flavor. These are certainly the best chips I've used in a cookie so far and hold up the best to baking far better than any other brand. I think my quest may be over.

No comments: