July 10, 2011

Huh, so this is what a real portion is?

So for about 10 weeks now the hubs and I have been following the rules of my nutritionist strictly. But I've been craving pasta this whole time. Like MAD CRAVINGS FOR PASTA - that's really the only thing I've been craving. Not cookies, chocolate, ice cream, or anything - just pasta!

But eating pasta seemed like an impossibility since dinner time can only have 3 oz. of a carb. Yup, you read that right, 3 oz. of a carb. How could I integrate pasta in to dinner with only 3 oz. on my plate?

Well, I figured it out - only took me 31 years to realize pasta is not an entree but a side dish! When I talked about this with the nutritionist, she said I just learned the lesson of naturally slim and healthy people. Pasta, grains, you name it, are side dishes. They are not to make up the bulk of your entree at any meal of the day. This was my ah ha moment in life. Could 31 years of carb loading be the reason I've never been successful at keeping weight off? Must be because the weight is dropping off now!

So back to dinner.
I was dying to make this pasta and once I figured out how to do it without carb-loading, I was on track.

I coupled this meal with an awesome chicken Cesar salad and was completely satisfied.

And let me tell you, when you're only cooking 4 oz. of pasta at a time for 2 people for dinner, a box of pasta lasts you FOREVER!!!

Creamy Caprese Pasta for 2
4 oz. pasta
1 small can tomato sauce, reduced sodium
2-3 T fresh grated parmesan cheese
3-4 oz. reduced fat mozzarella cheese cut in to cubes.
12-16 grape tomatoes cut in half
Fresh basil chiffonade

Preheat your oven to 350. Cook your pasta according to the directions on the box. Heat the tomato sauce and add in some garlic and crushed black pepper and a little crushed red pepper.
Once the pasta is done, add it to the sauce. Toss in the tomatoes, some basil and the mozzarella cheese cubes. Place in small dishes you can place in the oven and top with parmesan cheese. Bake until golden bubbly - mine only took about 10 minutes to bake in two small dishes.

DELISH.

Now my new addiction is this Caesar salad dressing. I have a Caesar I've been making for years - it's a recipe my father made and I just learned it at a young age and kept it with me. But now this one, it may be taking the place. It's so delicious, creamy and yummy!!

Thank you to Gimmie Some Oven for this killer recipe
I've posted it here as I've been making it.

1/4 cup reduced fat mayonnaise made with olive oil
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1-2 Tbsp. fres
hly-squeezed lemon juice (adjust to taste)
1/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
generous pinch of salt and freshly-ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil

Shake in a jar and toss with your greens. DELICIOUS!!!

No comments: