September 18, 2011

A Delicious Use of Green Tomatoes

Our garden didn't fare so well this year. We tried it out in a new spot in the yard and it just never seemed to get enough sunlight. That combined with a very wet growing season early on, followed by scorching 100 degree plus days and then more heavy rains and gloomy days just made it a less than fruitful year.

Don't get me wrong, we did fare well. We had lots of tomatoes, some zucchini, eggplants, potatoes and cukes, but each plant only yielded a few rounds of crops. The other week we had a tomato plant on the way out, so the hubs rescued what was on it - all green tomatoes.

My dear friend had just given me a recipe for green tomato pickles that I wanted to try, but I was more interested in doing a relish to put on sandwiches. So I found a recipe online that looked
easy enough to try. Thank you Mommy's Kitchen for this great recipe.

This was so easy to pop together, and yielded a great relish in the end. I've been enjoying it on

sandwiches, and even a BLT today!

I didn't have a ton of tomatoes to make this recipe with but what I got yielded a mid size Ball jar of relish. And since I don't can (primarily because it freak me out that I'm going to die of botulism or some other horrid disease when I f-it-up) I just popped the jar in my fridge and have been using it up!

Below is the recipe as I made it.

Green Tomato Relish

about 12 green tomatoes - I used romas and 1 regular tomato so I had to tweak the original recipe.
1 cubanelle pepper chopped
1 large onion chopped
2 teaspoons plus a pinch more of mustard seeds
1 teaspoon plus a pinch more caraway seeds
2/3 cup white vinegar
2/3 cup apple cider
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt

Cut up the onion, tomatoes and pepper in to small pieces and then pop in a heavy pot and add everything else and stir and let simmer until everything is tender and comes together in to a relish texture. Let cool and enjoy!

No comments: