September 11, 2011

Mussels at home, take 1

I have always enjoyed mussels - the hubs, not so much. The first time he really ate mussels was when were up in Canada a few summers ago at a lobster supper, and he fell in love with them.

Yet, we haven't made mussels at home. This summer we went down to get lobsters and also decided we'd get some fresh mussels from this little fish stand we love. And for $2 a pound, how can you really pass that up?

I came home with two pounds of mussels and no clue what to do with them. I knew though I wanted to do some garlic, onions, and wine with them so I just kind of winged it.


After researching how to clean the mussels and removing their beards, the hubs and I got to work tapping 2 lbs. of mussels to see if they were still alive, cleaning them and then prepping them.

I started with my largest high sided skillet and a little olive oil and sauteed a large onion I had diced. Then I added in about 12 cloves of crushed garlic, a little salt and some pepper. Once everything was nice and hot, I tossed in the mussels in two layers and then added in 1/2-3/4 cup white wine, a little lemon juice tossed them around a bit and put the lid on. I steamed them for 4 minutes, tossed them again, and steamed them for another 4-5 minutes. Once done, I tossed again, then poured in to a bowl and let the juices run all over them.

We enjoyed the lobsters, mussels and some delicious fresh bread that the hubs made.

If you are a mussel eater, I highly recommend trying these at home! They'd even be great tossed with some pasta.


No comments: