September 11, 2011

Opa! Nachos


Wow, I'm so behind in blogging, I just realized I made this recipe back in July! Holy Cow!

But I still have to blog them because they were out of this world delicious!

I found this idea - note, it's NOT a recipe- for Greek Nachos on Not Without Salt.

After I made these though based on just the picture, I started seeing these pop up on lots of blogs and saw that the recipe is from Mark Bittman in this NYT piece back in 2009 - WOW how did it take me this long to find this?

I've linked to the recipe from the NYT above, but am posting what I did down below here.

1 lb. ground turkey - you could easily use beef, lamb, you name it - I just used the turkey because it's lighter and what I had on hand.
6 oz. pita, cut in to triangles and toasted in the oven on a cookie sheet until crispy
Greek seasoning - this is something we brought back from our last trip to Greece and it includes oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, marjoram, mint, garlic powder, onion powder.

I cooked my meat with the seasoning and topped 30z of pita with 5 oz. of ground turkey each. Then I topped with diced tomato, shredded lettuce, diced cucumber and feta cheese. Then I topped each with cucumber sauce - plain yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, mint, oregano, salt and pepper.

This was such a fun and delicious meal!

No comments: