September 11, 2011

Perfect Saag Paneer


So, I made saag paneer once at home, and it was good but just not the texture I was seeking. I finally came up with the idea of using, gasp, canned spinach to make the saag paneer again... and you know what, it was the exact texture I was seeking!!

The recipe was creamy, flavorful and delicious. Instead of paneer, I used haloumi cheese this time that I diced up and browned up.

The rest of the recipe for the paneer I followed from Serious Eats.

1 large can canned spinach.
1 onion diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
about 1 T fresh grated ginger
6 oz. haloumi cheese diced and browned
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 container plain yogurt
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onion and garlic with the cumin and curry and then add in the canned spinach, undrained. Stir in the yogurt, salt and pepper to taste at the end. Add in the cheese and toss to combine. I also did add in some crushed red pepper flakes for a little spice.

No comments: