November 27, 2011

Eat Your Greens!


I love leafy greens, and there's nothing better than greens from the farmer's market. This recipe used up the very last of the fresh spinach from the farmer's market for the season - le sigh - I guess we'll have to wait until next spring for some more deliciousness!

I found this recipe in my Penzey's Spice Catalog - and if you don't use their spices, you should. They are by far and away some of the best spices out there! I've yet to have anything bad from there.

This is such a delicious pesto sauce, and so incredibly easy. In the amount of time it took the pasta to cook I had the pesto done, and was on to my salad, and the shrimp was in the oven. Do make this, you won't be sorry!

I did not make this recipe vegan, but instead used Parmesan cheese.

Served this Spinach Pesto with Caesar Salad and some baked shrimp. Delicious!

Spinach Pesto
10 oz. baby spinach * My bag from the farm was probably greater than this*
2 TB. pine nuts or walnuts * I omitted *
1⁄4 Cup nutritional yeast (Parmesan cheese
or a Parmesan/Romano cheese blend
may be used instead of the yeast)
1⁄4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
4 Cloves of Garlic * the recipe called for Garlic Powder, I used fresh.

water or olive oil as needed
Place the spinach, pine nuts, yeast and olive oil in a food processor or blender and pulse until
well-blended, scraping the sides as needed. Add the water or more olive oil and pulse to reach
your desired consistency. * I added water to cut down on the fat. I also tossed the pasta with some of the pesto and reserved pasta water. I ended up having enough pesto left to freeze another cup + for another use*

No comments: