November 27, 2011

Protein Bars, Take 2!

So now that my first batch of homemade protein bars are gone, I decided it was time to play around and make a 2nd batch. My primary reasoning behind making these though was to help keep me on track and honest during these next weeks of stressful holiday eating.

My goal with my nutritionist was to maintain these next 6 weeks, and as much as I'd like to actually drop sound pounds and not maintain, I know I need to be realistic. The holidays are always a challenge for me with my eating; primarily because I love to cook and bake and make wonderfully delicious foods this time of year.

So I'm hoping these will help keep me on track for a light and filling and healthy breakfast.

Here's the recipe I used this time, just mix everything in the bowl together and add in 1/4-1/2 cup water basked on the texture, it should be a bit gluey but thick:

Chocolate, Peanut Butter and Coconut Power Bars

2 Egg whites – 34 calories

3 scoops protein powder (GNC Chocolate Whey Powder) – 390 calories

Peanut butter, creamy – ½ cup - 760 calories

1 medium banana – 105 calories

4 cups puffed wheat – 240 calories *note I put this in instead of all of the oats from last time*

1/2 cup oats – 74 calories * note this is down from 3.5 cups of oats in my first recipe *

1 packet dry milk – 320 calories - make sure you're using dry non fat milk

Vanilla 1 tsp– 12 calories

Peanuts – ¼ cup – 211 calories

Coconut powder 1 oz.- 180 calories * I got this at an ethnic market. It's not sweet, it's just fine granulated coconut.*

1966 / 8 = 291 calories each

Verdict:
AWESOME! better than the first batch! I love the puffed wheat in this recipe more than the oats. They break down a bit and just make a nice chewy brownie/cookie like texture for the bar. They have a very mild taste, not too sweet, not bitter, and even the hubs agreed you can't really taste much chocolate. Love these so much more than the first batch! I need to invest in some other whey powder so I can start making other flavored bars. Again, as the first batch, heat them up before you eat them, about 15-30 seconds in the microwave -it makes a huge difference!



No comments: