July 1, 2012

It's Over 90 Degrees Out...

And I'm going to post a soup recipe. Why? Because that's the way I roll. And truthfully I made this back in the winter time.

It may very well be one of the best soups I've made. The hubs and I, being true blooded midwesterners, adore Amish and Shaker foods - including their noodles.And while we can't really find Amish noodles out here, we can still enjoy the Amish foods that we love.

I found this recipe for Shaker Chicken Noodle Soup on Isn't Everything in the Kitchen Trial & Error?  It was  simply wonderful.  The link here goes to the recipe, but since lately many recipes I've just linked to have gone missing from websites & blogs that have gone defunct, I've decided to copy it here and make my edits/tweaks.


shaker chicken noodle soup
13 cups chicken stock, divided - I made my own by stewing a chicken first and then adding in some water.1/4 cup dry vermouth or sherry1/4 cup unsalted butter1 cup cream, to lighten it up I used light cream1 cup diced celery1 cup diced carrot12 ounces dry egg noodles - I used Simply Smart ones for a little higher fiber option2 cups cooked diced chicken - again, I used shredded chicken from my stewed chicken1 1/2 cups water1/2 cup all purpose flour
Seasoning - I seasoned with some salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder, and sage. DELICIOUS!
  1. in a small saucepan, combine 1 cup stock, vermouth, and butter. bring to a simmer and cook until reduced to about a quarter cup, about 20 minutes. the mixture will darken and be thick and syrupy. remove from heat and stir in the heavy cream. set aside.
  1. Pre-cook your noodles and set aside. You'll mix these in cooked at the end. I like this method instead of cooking them in the broth.
  1. coat the bottom of a stock pot with olive oil and set over medium heat. saute the celery and carrot until softened, about five minutes. add the remaining 12 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil. and then stir in the chicken until heated through and bring back to a boil.
  1. whisk the water and flour until no lumps remain. add a ladle of hot broth to the mixture and whisk to combine. 
  1. while continuously stirring the soup, add the flour and water mixture. cook, stirring continuously for about 2 minutes, or until slightly thickened. do not let the soup boil. 
  1. stir in the reserved reduced stock, vermouth, butter, and cream mixture. taste and season with salt and pepper. serve immediately and do not let the soup boil. leftovers reheat perfectly.

No comments: