February 5, 2008

Nutty, Fruity, Fishy Goodness

For Christmas, my brother and his wife sent us the McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant Cookbook. I have to say there are some of the recipes in that book are incredible and out of this world sounding. And the pictures, if you're like me and need pictures to see what you'll be eating - damn' this book is mouthwatering.

And this book does not just contain seafood recicpes, although of course the number of seafood outweighs the turf meals.

Tonight we tried the Northwest Roasted Halibut - simply because I had all of the things on hand in the house.

Incredible! This is certainly a dish you could serve to company it just presents so beautifully.

Yields 4 (I halved)

4 halibut fillets - I used tilapia
2 T melted but not hot margarine or butter - I omitted this and used a mix of lemon juice, water and a tsp of Olive Oil
1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
Vegetable spray
2 cups frozen or mixed berries.

Preheat oven to 400

Coat the fish with the melted margarine and roll in the crushed hazelnuts, coating well. Coat a baking dish with spray and place the fish in the pan. Roast for 8-10 minutes or until the fish is flaky. NOTE: with the nuts on it you can't get to the fish to flake it without destrying the nuts, so I just used the finger firmness method to test, mine went about 12 minutes.

While the fish is roasting, puree the berries in a blender or food processor. Pass the puree through a strainer and remove the seeds. (I wasn't going to do this but once it was done it was really thick - so I did this and WOW it makes a huge difference. Don't skip this step!!! I saved the leftover berries and such that were in the strainer in the fridge for Jam).

The sauce may or may not be heated. The recipe recommends not heating it, but I warmed it up and it was great warmed.

Serve sauce under or over fish.

The combination of fruit and nuts together is incredible. This would be a great summer dish with a nice mixed melon and procuitto salad.

I served with rice and broccoli.

No comments: