September 15, 2008

A dinner straight from the garden

The other night I didn't get anything out for supper - which is unusal for me.

After work, the hubs and I ended up in the veggie garden doing some harvesting. From there I came in the house with some of the most wonderful things - fabulous fresh dill, basil, roma tomatoes. How could I not make something using all of this??

As the hubs sgtarted picking the dill off the stems to dry in the oven for the winter, I poured through some cookbooks to determine what I could make and I came across this in one of my favorite cookbooks that sadly doesn't get enough use in my house.

This is seriously the Tuna Noodle Casserole for Adults and WOW, you have to make this it's incredible! And so easy!

From the Food and Wine Quick From Scratch Cook Book
Spaghetti with Mackerel and Pine Nuts
1/4 cup golden raisins (omitted)
2 T hot water
3/4 pound spaghetti (I used egg noodles)
7 T olive oil (I used like 1 T instead based with my changes below)
1 lb. mackerel fillets (I used a can of solid white in water tuna fish instead)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 small onion chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup chooped fresh dill

1. Put the raisins in the hot water in a small bowl and leave until the water is absorbed. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until just done and then drain.

2. Meanwhile in a large skillet, heat 1 T oil over moderate heat. Sprinkle the mackerel with salt and pepper. Cook the fish until just done. Remove the fish and then wipe out the pan. When the fish is cool enough to handle and discard the skin and flake the fish. (I drained and rinsed the tuna and just set aside here and didn't add until near the end since it doesn't have to cook)

3. In the same pan, heat 1 T oil and add the onion and cook, stirring until starting to soften. Add the pine nuts and cook until they start turning brown. Add the raisins, fish and additional salt and pepper. Cook until heated. Toss with pasta and extra 5 T of oil. Top with fresh dill.

I served this with fresh roma tomatoes from the garden, fresh basil, pepper and olive oil.




This has quickly become a make again meal in our house. I'm so glad I found this recipe!
OOO I almost forgot the beans you see on the side of the plate, also from the garden!!!

No comments: