July 12, 2009

A Trip to the Islands for Dinner

I made this recipe a while back and it was really such a good, flavorful dinner. I was a little disappointed that the rice didn't have more coconut flavor, but next time I'll just add more coconut than water - easy fix.

This idea for this dinner came from a recipe from Kill The Gluten Blog - some great recipes, for the gluten free or gluten eaters.

I did make a few adjustments, such as instead of frying the chicken and using rice flour, I baked them and used panko - still crispy and tasty! I'm posting as I made the meal

Coconut Rice.

In the rice cooker, place 1 1/2 cups rice and rinse the rice. Add in 1 1/2 cup water and 1 1/2 cups coconut milk. Cover and let cook. Again, next time I will use probably 2 cups coconut milk instead. Top with green onion.


Pineapple Chicken

coat chicken tenders in panko crumbs and place on a baking pan and bake in the oven until browned and done. I did season the chicken some salt, pepper and ginger powder.
In a saucepan, combine 1 cup water, 1/3 cup honey, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 2 T lime juice and 2 T coconut milk. Let simmer until it reduces by about half and gets a little thick. Plate the chicken and rice and serve with the sauce. Top with pineapple chunks - drained (I forgot this part).

Such a flavorful, easy and tasty dinner. Will certainly make again - next time I may eggwash the chicken strips instead for a bit more crunch.

No comments: