May 31, 2010

Going out with a bang.



When you spend 6 years of your life dedicated to a TV show, it seems only fitting to celebrate it's end in style.

For 6 years, I've watched LOST. I've been baffled, touched, scratched my head,
researched on the web for clues, re-watched episodes, you name it - it has sucked me in for all 6 years - about 4 years for the hubs, he didn't get on the bandwagon right away.

We made an event of the finale of LOST. And we did it in true Hawaiian fashion with a luau for two.

Since digging a hole in the backyard and roasting a whole pig wasn't really an option for this luau - I opted for using this recipe from Allrecipes and WOW it was just like sitting on a beach being entertained by fire breathers and hula dancers good. I don't think I'll ever make pork roast another way again. Now the recipe for the Kalua Pig in a Slow Cooker was simple, but instead of cooking it for like 20 hours on low, I did 4 hours on high, 4 hours on low, a few more hours on warm, and another hour on low again - yes, I got up at 6 am to put the pork roasts in the crock pot. I also used two 2 pound pork roasts with a descent amount of fat to them as well. This made enough for dinner, a leftover lettuce wrap dinner and a leftover pulled bbq pork sandwiches as well and we still put some in the freezer!!
For sides, I still needed some tropical things. I opted for some fried plantains, Asian coleslaw with the Ramen noodles, and boiled yucca that I tossed with garlic, onion, butter and lemon juice.

And of course you can't enjoy a LOST luau without some fish biscuits!! Yes the infamous fish biscuits from when Kate and Swayer were stuck in the Dharma cages. These were so delicious and tasty - even my office mates loved them for our LOST recap lunch on Monday.

All in all the meal was fantastic and the show was worth dedicating 6 years and 4.5 hours of my Sunday too.

I'll miss you LOST... thank you for making my brain hurt and challenging me to think in a way like no other TV show has!!

No comments: