January 23, 2011

I didn't think we'd like it....


But boy were we wrong. This by far exceeded our expectations for a delicious and hearty winter meal - and we know it will be a wonderful spring/summer meal when we can get fresh tomatoes and eggs from the farmer's market again.

I was inspired to make this Moroccan Ragout with Poached Eggs from Serious Eats - but obviously finding ingredients such as merguez sausage and ras el hanout proved to be a challenge so I had to make some substitutions with what I had on hand.

So with my alterations with what I had at home, this really turned out to be an incredible dinner and we'll surely be making this again. I served with some fresh crusty bread that I toasted in the oven.

But first, let me give you a little tip I've learned. I buy the bulk container of ground chorizo from Sam's Club regularly. We take the ground sausage and separate it out in to the snack size baggies and freeze the baggies. This way, when I have a recipe that needs a little something extra, or even calls for the chroizo - I just have to pop a bag or two out of the freezer and voila! Easy does it!
Steph's take on Moroccan Ragout with Poached Eggs

1 1/2 T olive oil
1 large onion diced finely
4 cloves of garlic minced
1/4-1/2 pound ground chorizo
1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
salt and pepper to taste
2 14 oz. cans of diced tomato
4 eggs
1/4 cup cilantro chopped

In a large skillet (that also has a lid), heat the oil and saute the onions until tender and starting to brown. Then add your ground chorizo and continue cooking this mixture until the chorizo is warmed and starts to brown. Add in your garlic, paprika and tomatoes and let simmer until the diced tomatoes start to break down. Once you have a nice, thick, meaty sauce, add in your eggs, one at a time by making a little well in the tomato mixture. Once the eggs are in, place the lid on top and let steam until the whites are done and the yolks are still runny. Top with salt, pepper and chopped cilantro.

I can't wait to make this again and make it in the summer using all of those great farm fresh ingredients! This was a great dinner but I know would make a stellar addition to a brunch as well!

No comments: