August 12, 2012

It's Healthy Midwest Comfort Food!

Growing up, my mom used to make Salisbury Steak on occasion and it was always so good and hearty and made my belly happy. As I got older, the dinner became less frequent as it wasn't "healthy" any more to eat red meat and then it was just the two of us at home - so why go to all that trouble.

In college, I loved when the dorms had Salisbury Steak night, it reminded me of my time at home.

But after college, again, I never made it - back to the it just wasn't healthy fact of eating it.

Enter Skinny Taste and Gina's recipe for Skinny Salisbury Steaks with Mushroom Gravy. HOLY FANTASTIC!!! Who knew you could try to eat healthy and still eat Salisbury steak?!

We had this for dinner a while back and it was just such a comfortable meal to be eating and was so filling and hearty. I did stay from her recipe to lighten it up even more and I have to say, we both thought it was fantastic! I can not wait until our first cool night to make this again in the fall! Served it with some mashed potatoes and some red cabbage, such a yummy dinner!


Ingredients:

1 1/2 tsp oil
one large onion, minced
2-3 cloves of garlic minced
2 lbs. lean ground turkey * Note I strayed from Gina's recipe here using all ground turkey and not two types of meat. It was still fantastic! I did this so it was easier to portion out how many oz. we could have on our plate - 5 oz. of turkey - since a mixture of meats would have been too difficult to deal with.
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 large egg
1 large egg white
2 cups beef broth
salt and pepper to taste - I didn't measure
16 oz sliced mushrooms * I doubled up here from the recipe because we adore mushrooms and the more the merrier.
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, to taste
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/4 cup water

Directions:

Sauté onions in oil over medium heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine half of the sautéed onions, garlic, ground turkey, bread crumbs, egg, egg white, 1/4 cup beef broth, salt and black pepper.

Shape into 8 oval patties * I pre-weighed our patties to 5.5 oz or there about raw so I knew we could eat a whole 5 oz. patty once it was cooked. Just easier for us and it did yield more than 8 - I believe 10 or so?

In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, brown both sides of patties. Set aside on a dish.

Add mushrooms to the skillet, season with salt and pepper and sauté 2-3 minutes.
Return patties to the skillet with the mushrooms.

In a small bowl, blend flour and remaining broth until smooth. Mix in remaining onions, tomato paste, vinegar, water, worcestershire sauce and mustard powder.

Pour over meat and mushrooms in skillet.

Cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

AND do you know what this makes as a wonderful leftover??
A short cut version of an open faced meat loaf sandwich! 1 5 oz. patty, some gravy, 1.5 oz. of potatoes and bread respectively and a nice side veggie and voila! Leftovers made anew!


No comments: