April 9, 2012

A New Go To Salad


Typically when I make Mexican food for dinner I make my Mexi-slaw to go with it, and we devour it! But I recently found this recipe on Kalyn's Kitchen for an avocado and heart of palm salad that had cilantro and lime as the seasoning - how perfect for a side dish for a Mexican feast?

This has become a staple in our house now - so much so I just had to buy two two pack jars at BJs - knowing this will get me 8 salads.

If you like heart of palm and avocado, make this STAT! It's just so perfect!

Ingredients: I typically half this recipe for just the hubs and I as a side dish for our dinners. It still makes MORE than enough!
2 (14 oz) cans or 1 large jar (26 oz.) hearts of palm
2 avocados
2 T + 1 T fresh-squeezed lime juice (or more)
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion (or chopped red onion) - I omit this each time, we just don't love raw onion enough and for some reason each time I make this, I buy or have green onion for it but totally blank on putting it in - it's still great without it!
sea salt to taste for seasoning finished salad

Instructions:
Drain the hearts of palm into a colander placed in the sink, and let them drain well while you cut the avocado. Dice avocado and toss with the 2 tablespoons of lime juice.

Cut the hearts of palm into slices about 1/2 inch thick, breaking it apart into rings or cutting the larger slices in half if they don't break apart. Chop cilantro and thinly slice green onion.

Add the sliced hearts of palm, chopped cilantro, and sliced green onion to the avocado and stir gently to combine. Add the final tablespoon of lime juice (or a bit more if desired) and season the salad well with sea salt and pepper (my addition).

No comments: