April 9, 2012

Super Bowl Sunday Good Eats


Again, I know it's April and YES we did eat this on Super Bowl Sunday, and NO I haven't made it again since.

But these were absolutely killer wings. And they were beyond easy to make. In a way they kind of reminded me of Nigella's Maple & Chicken Ribs but with more Asian flair.

Since they have a nice thai/asian flavor, I served them with some veggie nime chow - it was nice and refreshing with the flavor and warmth of the chicken wings.


INGREDIENTS
3 pounds chicken wings, wing tips removed and wings cut into 2 pieces
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
4 small dried red chiles
2 whole star anise
One 3-inch cinnamon stick
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup sake
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 tablespoons mirin
3 tablespoons sugar
2 scallions, thinly sliced

Now instead of following this cooking method below - I made it even easier so we could watch the commercials, I mean the game, I mean the commercials! I put everything in my big black oven roaster, tossed the wings with all of the other ingredients and put it on 375 in my oven and just kept turning them every 20 minutes or so. I think I cooked them for about a hour and a half if not 2 hours to get them crispy/sticky and wonderful. This was SO much easier, and I won't ever make them the way the recipe suggests below.
...

In a very large nonstick skillet (or in batches), cook the chicken wings over moderate heat, turning once, until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the ginger, chiles, star anise and cinnamon and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the soy sauce, sake, oyster sauce, mirin, sugar and 1/3 cup of water and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the wings are cooked through and the sauce has reduced to a thick glaze, about 8 minutes. Discard the chiles, star anise and cinnamon. Transfer the chicken wings to a platter, scatter the scallions on top and serve.

No comments: